Put Stock in Bike Travel!

Making a gift of appreciated securities can benefit both you and Adventure Cycling.

Stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and IRAs

Giving stock that has been held longer than one year allows you to avoid paying any capital-gains tax that would otherwise be due. In addition, you can claim a charitable income-tax deduction for the fair market value of the stock on the date on which it was transferred, not just for what it was worth when you acquired it.

If you have questions, please email Development Director Jeffrey Mizell at jmizell@adventurecycling.org. Thank you for making Adventure Cycling a partner in your philanthropy.

To transfer stock:

  • You can have your broker transfer securities to Adventure Cycling with the following information:
    • Institution: LPL Financial
    • Depository Trust Company (DTC) Number: 0075
    • Adventure Cycling Account number: 74969955
    • Contact: Wealth Management - Steve McMahon (406) 523-4201,  First Interstate Investment Services - Brett Weber, (406) 523-4211
    • Adventure Cycling EIN: 23-7427629
  • Please let us know in advance if you are transmitting securities via DTC by contacting Development Director Jeffrey Mizell at: jmizell@adventurecycling.org

Stock certificates

If you hold stocks or bonds in certified form, you may send the certificates by certified mail (with return receipt requested, if you would like to receive proof of its delivery) to (do not endorse the certificate):

Adventure Cycling Association
Attn: Jake Flaherty
150 E. Pine Street
Missoula, MT 59802

In a separate envelope that can be mailed with regular postage, send us one stock power for each stock certificate. Adventure Cycling can provide a stock power or your broker can provide one for you. Please sign the stock power as your name is listed on the stock certificate. Please include a dated letter that describes the stock and contains your signature as it appears on the stock power and stock certificate. Upon receipt, your stock gift will be recorded and the certificate sent to our broker for immediate disposition.

Mutual funds held by the fund company

The best way to make a gift of mutual funds that are held by the fund company is to write to the fund with instructions to establish a new account to transfer the shares to Adventure Cycling Association, Attn: Jake Flaherty, 150 E. Pine Street, Missoula, MT 59802. Adventure Cycling's federal tax identification number (FEIN) is 23-7427629, and your letter should be signature-guaranteed by your broker or banker. Send your letter by certified mail, and please send a copy to the above address. If you have questions about any options related to gifts of stocks, please reach out. 

Please note: Mutual fund companies have a toll-free number for shareholder questions. You may want to call your fund company to confirm the transfer procedure before mailing your letter of instructions.

Traditional IRAs

If you are 70½ or older, you can make a tax-free distribution from your IRA. It's a great way to meet your required minimum distribution tax-free while supporting what matters most to you. In order for your donation to be completely tax-free, the contribution must be a direct transfer from your IRA. You can follow the same steps listed above for transferring stock. Consult your financial advisor.