Review of Green Mountains Loop Map
A customer from Durham, NC on 9/13/11
1. I printed two copies of the map so that I could cut one up and tape it together into a loop. That was nice. However, the cost was pretty high compared to getting ACA to print it. I don't think I would recommend someone print their own, since it worked out to be so much more expensive. A non-printable digital copy would still be useful, though.
2. It was very difficult to find the route since we started about 5-10 miles into it. We spent a whole day trying to get on it, and only succeeded at the end. This was between Colchester and Woods Hill Road moving clockwise. Often, the road or path the route follows isn't named clearly on the map! This made it crazy difficult to find. It also meant that we had to pull out the description at every turn to make sure we were going on a bike trail when necessary, etc. This was cumbersome, and we honestly skipped it a lot. PLEASE MARK THE NAME OF THE ROAD!!
3. The alternative routes were great; more of them were available on the ground and should be added.
4. The elevation chart was also great for planning, albeit deceiving at times. Drastic declines weren't really that way, and even uphills were more intermittent than the elevation chart suggested.
5. One crucial direction was missing in that first section on map 1: Turn left on Mill Pond road just after the junction of 2/7. Although, perhaps that's not quite right, since we were totally lost that whole day.
6. Fun route; challenging with the hills. Didn't do the southern half due to flooding, but came across the center of the state.
7. Major stops for tourists would have been nice. We could choose to go or not.