Bicycle Travel Video Contest Rules
To celebrate the beauty and spirit of bicycle travel, Adventure Cycling Association invites you to submit your best bicycle-touring videos to their second annual Bicycle Travel Video Contest on Vimeo. Submissions will be accepted through June 30, 2014.
Please read the following rules, terms, and conditions before submitting your videos!
The Adventure Cycling Bicycle Travel Video Contest (the "Contest") is open to all amateur videographers 18 years of age and older. Submissions from professionals — individuals who make their primary living from videography or filmmaking — will be disqualified. The contest is open to all other participants as long as the laws of their jurisdiction allow participation; however, Adventure Cycling employees, board members, and videographers currently paid by Adventure Cycling and the immediate families of such individuals, regardless of residence or citizenship, are not eligible.
You will retain all rights to any video that you submit — including ownership, if applicable — other than those rights licensed in the following sentence: By entering the contest, you hereby grant to Adventure Cycling Association (i) a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, publicly display, and publicly perform the videos you submit to Adventure Cycling, and (ii) the right to use your name, city, state, and country of residence in promotions and other publications.
If you choose to include other people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and you must be able to provide copies of those releases to Adventure Cycling upon request. Entrants must not submit videos that infringe on the rights of any other videographer or person.
What to Enter
Please submit videos in the following categories — maximum of one video per category per person (total maximum of three):
- Best Long Distance Tour Video: Submit your best narrative or experimental video about a long-distance bike tour (weeklong or longer). Submissions must not exceed 7 minutes in length.
- Best Short Tour Video: Submit your best narrative or experimental video about a bike tour one to six nights in length. Submissions must capture the experience of a tour of this duration, not one to six nights of a longer tour. Submissions must not exceed 3 minutes in length.
- Best Portrait of a Traveling Cyclist: Submit your best narrative or experimental video profile of a touring cyclist. Self-profiles are acceptable. Submissions must not exceed 5 minutes in length.
All videos will be considered for the Bike Travel Spirit Award, awarded by the judges to the video that, in their judgement, best captures the spirit of bike travel and touring.
All videos will also be eligible for the People's Choice Award, awarded to the video with the most "likes" on Vimeo.
How to Vote for the People's Choice Award
Create an account on Vimeo and then click the "like" button over the video for which you wish to vote.
Submissions Process: How to Enter
- Upload your videos to your Vimeo account (see below)
- Tag your video with the appropriate category tag:
- Best Long Distance Tour Video submissions should be tagged with LongDistanceTourACA2014
- Best Short Tour Video submissions should be tagged with ShortTourACA2014
- Best Portrait of a Traveling Cyclist submissions should be tagged with TravelingCyclistACA2014
- Join the Bicycle Travel Video Contest Group hosted by Adventure Cycling Association
- Add your video to the contest group
- Send a private message to Adventure Cycling on Vimeo with the following information so we can be sure that we're able to reach you:
- First and last name
- Vimeo Name
- Valid email address
- Valid physical mailing address
- The direct URL to your submissions on Vimeo indicating the category to which each was submitted
How to upload your videos
- Sign up for a free account on Vimeo
- Verify your account: Vimeo will send you an email (check your spam!)
- Click on "Upload" in the top menu
- Upload your video
- Add your title, a short description, and tag your video with the appropriate submission category tag (see above)
If you have problems uploading, check the Vimeo Help Center. For free Vimeo accounts, you can upload only 500MB per week. Is your video too big? Try using the free MPEG Streamclip to make it smaller and try using the right compression. Adventure Cycling cannot assist you with video compression issues.
How to add your video to the Bicycle Travel Video Contest Group:
- Join the Bicycle Travel Video Contest Group by pushing the "Join this Group" on the right of the group's homepage (you must be logged into Vimeo)
- Go to your video
- Go to the bottom of your video
- Choose "Add to"
- Select "Bicycle Travel Video Contest"
- Done! Now your video is pending; it will be added as soon as we approve it
Submissions will be accepted through June 30, 2014.
Eligibility and Judging
To ensure eligibility for the contest, all submissions must be uploaded to Vimeo. Follow the submission instructions exactly. Failure to complete any step in the submission process will disqualify the submission from the contest.
Amateur videographers only; submissions from professionals — individuals who makes their primary living from videography or filmmaking — will be disqualified.
The videographer must own the rights to all music and images used in their submission or they will be disqualified.
Previously broadcasted material for which non-exclusive rights were granted may be entered as long as you still maintain the right to grant us a license (see "Your Rights" above). You must be able to disclose to Adventure Cycling, on request, when and where the video appeared previously.
Videos will be judged on originality, story, technical excellence, overall impact, and artistic merit. The volunteer judges are a panel of experienced bicycle travelers and videographers.
Adventure Cycling shall determine winner eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion. All decisions made by the judges are final.
Deadline for submitting entries is 11:59 pm Pacific Standard Time on June 30, 2014.
Entrants may be asked to submit a paragraph about the story behind the video anytime on or after June 30, 2014. The winners will be announced in July 2014. Adventure Cycling reserves the right to adjust any deadline(s) as the result of causes beyond its immediate control.
The judging panel will name one winner in each of the three submission categories (Best Long Distance Tour Video, Best Short Tour Video, and Best Portrait of a Traveling Cyclist). The winners in the three submission categories will receive a two-year membership with Adventure Cycling and a $500 gift certificate for the Cyclosource store. Winner of the Bike Travel Spirit Award will win a $300 gift certificate for the Cyclosource store. The winning videos will be highlighted on Adventure Cycling's blog and social-media channels such as Facebook and Twitter. Winners will also be announced in Adventure Cyclist magazine.
By entering this contest, you agree to certain legal conditions.
Questions and inquiries about contest rules can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about Vimeo, please consult Vimeo's FAQ page.