Total Miles: 4250
Rider: Samsoe Bill; 24 years old, Membership Director Missoula Area Chamber of Comme, Non-Member.
Summary: It was the trip of a lifetime. This is when life started for me . . . I met my future wonderful wife, Barb, on this trip. ; Commercial Trip
How did ACA Help? I worked in the Bikecentennial office in Missoula for a few months before the trip. It was a very grassroots organization at that time, and all involved particiapted in a variety of ways. I helped with setting up toolkits, first aid kits, making I.D.'s, at a Leadership Training Course, working in the "War Room", and a variety of other ways. I know how hard the staff worked to make this a great experience for all involved.
Health Issues: I just mentioned our food poisoning experience. We also had one member experience severe dehydration as we came out of Colorado and came into Kansas. Another group member received a nasty cut on his foot. Other then that, we all suffered positively from total exhaustion each day!!!
Motivation: It was a great challenge. My sister, Marge, also led a trip. I had led an AYH trip thru New England the previous summer, and this seemed appropriate for the next event!
Most Challenging Aspect:Group dynamics. I'm proud to say that our group stuck together, thru thick and thin, thu flat tires, bike repairs, hospital visits, through the mountains, through good meals and bad . . . and we made it all the way as a group.
Favorite Experience: We truly had great experiences together as a group. Some of the fun things included: volleyball with TAWB615 in Oregon and Missouri, a Bigfoot hunt in Idaho, Johnson Shut Ins in Missouri, the wonderful people in Kansas, the feeling of accomplishmet at the top of Vesuvius (the steepest climb) and Hoosier Pass (the highest at 11,000 + feet), the beauty of Yellowstone and the Tetons, the celebration dinner at the end of the trail at a place called the Bike Pedler was a highlight as well. I rode a couple of times with my future wife, Barb, not realizing how good life would be.
Least Favorite: Food poisoning from canned Chinese food, in Bardstown, Kentucky, put half of our group in the emergency room at the local hospital in the middle of the night. We had to take the next day off unexpectedly, which was a real bummer.
Tips: Do it . . . enjoy . . . others have gone before you and others will go after you . . . know that your experience is unique and will be known only to you.
Online Journal: Click Here
Date Entered: May, 2006
Photo by Dennis Coello