Bicycle Travel Video Contest
To celebrate the beauty and spirit of bicycle travel Adventure Cycling Association and WorldCycle Videos invite you to submit your best bicycle-touring videos to their first annual Bicycle Travel Video Contest on Vimeo.
Please read the full submission guidelines and rules before submitting your videos!
Our volunteer judges are all avid cycle-tourists and/or videographers and look forward to your submissions.
Video submissions will be accepted in the following categories through February 28, 2013:
- Best Long Distance Tour Video: Submit your best narrative or experimental video about a long-distance bike tour. Submissions must not exceed 7 minutes in length.
- Best Bike Overnight Video: Submit your best narrative or experimental video about a 1-2 night bike tour. Submissions must capture the experience of a 1-2 night tour, not 1-2 nights of a longer tour, and must not exceed 3 minutes in length.
- Best Portrait of a Traveling Cyclist: Submit your best narrative or experimental video portrait of a touring cyclist. Self-portraits are acceptable. Submissions must not exceed 5 minutes.
All videos will be considered for the Bike Travel Spirit Award, which will be awarded by the judges to the video that best captures the spirit of bike travel and touring.
All videos will also be eligible for the People's Choice Award, which will be awarded to the video with the most "likes" on Vimeo. To vote, create an account on Vimeo (it's free & quick) and then click on the "like" button.
Awards & Prizes
The judges will name one Winner for each of the 3 submission categories (Best Long Distance Tour Video, Best Bike Overnight Video, and Best Portrait) with up to 10 Honorable Mentions. The judges decisions are final. The winning videos will be highlighted on Adventure Cycling's blog and social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter. Winners will also be announced in the May 2013 issue of Adventure Cyclist magazine. The Winners in the 3 submission categories will also receive a two-year membership with Adventure Cycling and a $100 gift certificate for the Cyclosource store. Winners will also be featured in the 4th Annual Ciclismo Classico Bike Travel Film Festival in Arlington, MA.
Amateur videographers only; submissions from professionals — a person who makes their primary living from videography or filmmaking — will be disqualified. Participants can submit one video only to each of the three categories: Best Long Distance Tour Video, Best Bike Overnights Video, Best Portrait of a Traveling Cyclist. See Official Rules.
How to Enter
- Upload your videos to your Vimeo account.
- Tag your video with the appropriate category tag:
- Best Long Distance Tour Video submissions should be tagged with LongDistanceTourACA2013.
- Best Bike Overnight Video submissions should be tagged with BikeOvernightACA2013.
- Best Portrait of a Traveling Cyclist submissions should be tagged with TravelingCyclistACA2013.
- Join the Bicycle Travel Video Contest Group hosted by Adventure Cycling Association.
- Add your video to the contest group
- Send a private message to Adventure Cycling on Vimeo with the following information so we can be sure that we're able to reach you:
- First and last name
- Vimeo Name
- Valid email address
- Valid physical mailing address
- The direct URL to your submissions on Vimeo indicating the category to which each was submitted.
Important note on music and images used in your piece: The videographer must own the rights to all music and images used in their submission or they will be disqualified. Vimeo offers some music that can be licensed through Creative Commons or as royalty-free music for a small fee: vimeo.com/musicstore. There are many other sources of royalty-free music such as Shockwave-Sound.com, soundcloud.com and thesixtyone.com. Procuring the rights for your music and images is your responsibility.
How to upload your videos:
- Sign up for a free account on Vimeo.
- Verify your account: Vimeo will send you an email (check your spam!)
- Click on "Upload" in the top menu
- Upload your video
- Add your title, a short description, and tag your video with the appropriate submission category tag (see above).
If you have problems uploading, check the Vimeo tips. For free Vimeo accounts, you can only upload 500MB per week. Is your video too big? Try using the free MPEG Streamclip to make it smaller and try using the right compression. Adventure Cycling cannot assist with video compression issues.
How to add your video to the Bicycle Travel Video Contest Group:
- Join the Bicycle Travel Video Contest Group by pushing the "Join this Group" on the right of the group's homepage (you must be logged into Vimeo).
- Go to your video
- Go to the bottom of your video.
- Choose "Add to"
- Select "Bicycle Travel Video Contest"
- Done! Now your video is pending. It will be added as soon as we approve it.
For questions about Vimeo, please consult Vimeo's FAQ page first, then if you still need assistance, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to read the full rules before submitting. Submissions will be accepted through February 28, 2013.
The Fine Print
The contest is open to all participants age 18 and older regardless of residence or citizenship, so long as the laws of their jurisdiction allow participation. Video submissions must be uploaded by 11:59 pm Pacific Standard Time on February 28, 2013. You retain ownership and full rights to all videos submitted, but grant us the right to use your video in support of Adventure Cycling's mission. Remember, be sure to review the full rules before entering. Ride on!